As the winter season approaches, the days grow shorter, the temperatures drop, and, unfortunately, our skin often suffers. At ASC, we understand dry skin can be more than just a discomfort. It can impact your confidence, your day-to-day activities, and your overall well-being. That’s why we are committed to helping you maintain your skin’s health and vibrancy through the winter months and beyond.
So here, our goal is to provide you with a deeper understanding of dry skin, its causes, potential complications, and, more importantly, what you can do about it. We’ll delve into a variety of treatments that we offer at our clinics, from innovative procedures to non-invasive solutions and rejuvenating treatments, to help you manage your skin’s unique needs in the colder months of the year.
As dermatology experts, we believe that informed patients make the best decisions about their care. So, let’s start this journey towards achieving healthy, moisturised, and radiant skin.
Common Winter Skin Complaints
As mentioned, our skin tends to suffer during winter, with many common skin concerns becoming more of a problem at this time of year. Here are some of the most frequent issues we see here at ASC:
- Dry Skin: This is perhaps the most common complaint. As humidity levels drop in the winter, the skin can lose moisture and become dry, which can lead to discomfort and flaking.
- Itchy Skin: Hand-in-hand with dryness, itchiness can increase during colder months due to reduced moisture in the skin.
- Chapped Lips: Lips can become dry, chapped, and even cracked during winter due to less moisture in the air.
- Windburn: Exposure to cold winter winds can cause skin redness and irritation, often referred to as ‘windburn’.
- Exacerbation of Chronic Skin Conditions: Conditions like eczema and psoriasis can become worse during winter.
- Cold Sores: Cold, low humidity and stress can trigger cold sores.
Remember, individual experiences may vary, and these complaints might be more severe for those with sensitive skin or pre-existing skin conditions. It’s always best to consult with our dermatologists at our cosmetic skin clinic in Jersey, as well as our Guersney clinic if you have concerns about your skin in the winter. But for now, we want to explore some of the most popular treatment options for helping with these skin concerns.
Treatment 1: Thermage
Our Facial Thermage FLX in Jersey and Guernsey is a leading, non-invasive radiofrequency (RF) therapy, approved by the FDA and CE, renowned for effectively smoothing, tightening, and contouring skin for a rejuvenated appearance. This treatment is potentially the solution to many winter skin worries! As mentioned, dry, cold weather can heighten skin sensitivity and dullness, and enhance fine lines. Thermage, by boosting collagen production, combats these concerns by revitalising the skin’s elasticity, reducing wrinkles, and contributing to a plumper appearance. This makes it an efficient way to handle common winter skin issues, not just offering a remedy but also enhancing the skin’s overall health and youthful charm.
Treatment 2: Profhilo
Profhilo is a cutting-edge skincare solution designed to enhance your skin’s firmness, strength, and glow. It’s a hyaluronic acid-based treatment that can transform your winter skincare routine by stimulating your skin’s collagen and elastin production, providing intense revitalisation and restoration. The non-invasive method is highly effective in combating winter’s harsh effects, helping fight skin dehydration, dullness, and fine-line accentuation. It offers deep skin hydration, improves skin tone, texture, and radiance, as well as restoring volume loss. Hence, our Profhilo in Guernsey and Jersey can be a winter skin saviour, combating common seasonal complaints to leave your skin looking and feeling refreshed, rejuvenated, and beautifully youthful.
Treatment 3: HArmonyCa
HArmonyCA is a first-of-its-kind dual-effect hybrid injectable that presents an innovative solution to common winter skin issues. The treatment uses Calcium Hydroxyapatite (CaHA), which stimulates new collagen and elastin production, replenishing key elements that naturally decrease over time and more so during winter, leading to a firmer, more youthful appearance. It also uses Hyaluronic Acid (HA), which provides immediate hydration and volume replacement, which is crucial for combatting winter-induced dryness and wrinkles. This is suitable for patients experiencing volume loss and wrinkles, offering both immediate rejuvenation and lasting enhancement, delivering visibly healthier and revitalised skin.
Treatment 4: Lanluma
Lanluma is an innovative product developed to help address fine lines, wrinkles, and skin depressions that frequently become more prominent during the harsh winter months. As a polylactic acid, it stimulates the natural production of collagen, helping to restore skin firmness and smoothness. By promoting new collagen and elastin creation in the skin tissues, our Lanluma in Jersey and Guernsey rejuvenates the skin, making it appear smoother and firmer. It offers a more lasting solution than other cosmetic fillers, providing sustained improvement for one to three years.
Extra Tips to Incorporate in Your Winter Skin Routine
As well as the treatments detailed here, there are many other things you can do to help tackle dull, dry, and itchy skin during the colder months; let’s take a look:
- Hydrate Inside Out: Drink plenty of water to keep your body and skin naturally hydrated. Also, include moisture-rich food like fruits and veggies to amp up your hydration levels.
- Switch to Gentle Skincare Products: Choose cleansers, lotions, and serums that contain hydrating ingredients and avoid products with alcohol or harsh detergents that can dehydrate the skin.
- Don’t Skip Sunscreen: Even on chilly, cloudy days, harmful UV rays can still impact your skin. Opt for a broad-spectrum sunscreen to ward off any potential damage.
- Exfoliate Regularly: Gentle exfoliation can help remove old skin cells, contributing to a fresher, healthier-looking complexion. However, avoid overly harsh products that may irritate or dry out the skin.
- Moisturise Frequently: Lock in the skin’s natural moisture by applying a suitable moisturiser shortly after showering or washing your hands.
Remember, while winter can be tough on skin, by following a thoughtful and comprehensive skincare routine, you can keep your skin hydrated and healthy throughout the cold season. If you’re looking for something a little extra to help you through winter, we’re here for you.
Please don’t hesitate to get in touch with our team to book a skincare consultation or to find out more about any of our treatments detailed here.